Configuring AssetTrack Security
About AssetTrack security
AssetTrack Server, AssetTrack Mobile, and AssetTrack Management Console all require user accounts to log in. This topic discusses how to create and modify these user accounts.
The default administrator account
AssetTrack Server provides a default administrator account that you can use to get started. When you first run AssetTrack, log in with this username and password.
- Username: admin
- Password: admin
|You should change the default administrator account and password immediately after installing AssetTrack to prevent unauthorized access to your system.
Accessing the user list
To access the user list, where you can create, edit, and change the passwords of users:
- Open the Management Console with an account that is a member of the Administrators group.
- Expand the Security node to show the user and group management items.
- Double-click the Users node to show the user list.
- In the user list, the users of AssetTrack are displayed and their email, first name, and last name can be edited. To edit a cell,
double-click on it and type in the new value.
Changing a user's password
This section only applies when running in AssetTrack security mode.
- In the user list, right click on a user to bring up a context menu. Click on Change password... to bring up
the password change dialog.
- Type in the new password and confirm it. Click Change password to apply the change to the user.
- Click on the Add users button in the menu bar to open the new user dialog.
- Type in the new username, email, first name, and last name for the new users. Username, first name, and last name are all required. Usernames must be unique.
Click OK to save the new users.
- In AssetTrack security mode, each user will need a password assigned to them.
- In Windows security mode, you can add a Windows login id that will associate a Windows domain user with the new AssetTrack user.
- If there are any errors in the users, they will be displayed with red exclamation points. Hover over them to see details of the error.
- In the user list, click on the row header (the blank cell to the left of the username) to select a user.
- To select multiple users, hold down the Shift key to select a a range of users or the Control key
to select individual users.
- Click on the Delete selected users button to delete the users that are selected.
- You can also press the Delete key to delete the selected users
- You cannot delete yourself
Associating a user with a Windows user
If running in Windows security mode, AssetTrack users must be associated
with Windows users to provide access to AssetTrack.
- To associate an AssetTrack user with a Windows user, change the Windows login value for the user to
the Windows username for the user without the domain. You cannot change the Windows login of the
user currently logged in to the Console.
You can define user groups to control the access that users have to different parts of AssetTrack. By default, three user groups are
- Administrators - These users have full rights to do everything including manage security and change the system configuration using the Management Console.
These rights are irrevokable and the Administrators group cannot be deleted or renamed.
- Managers - These users can manage domain objects and manage data in the queue for the default AssetTrack forms, but cannot change security nor alter the
- Everyone - Every user is a member of this group and by default it has no group permissions. These users can still
log in to AssetTrack Server and the Console, but they cannot manage domain objects or edit data in the queue for the default forms. This group
cannot be deleted or renamed.
AssetTrack's group permissions control access to various parts of the system. Users that
are members of multiple groups have the group permissions of every group they are a member of.
Group permissions applied to the Everyone group apply to every user in AssetTrack.
|Allows users in the group to access the Security node in the Console and edit users and groups of the server. This permission is only granted to the Administrators
group and cannot be revoked from that group or granted to another group.|
|Allows users in the group to access the Settings link in the upper-right of AssetTrack Server. See: Configuring AssetTrack Server.|
|Allows users in the group to create, edit, and delete Locations, Organizations, Assignees, Asset Types, Products, and Vendors.|
|Allows users in the group to use the quick search and advanced search features on AssetTrack Server as well as view assets that are in the system.|
|Allows users in the group to save changes that they make to assets in the asset detail page.|
|Allows users in the group to import asset and assignee data into AssetTrack using the Import File page. See: Importing a file|
|Allows users in the group to view and clear the system log on AssetTrack Server.|
|Allows users in the group to import and export the configuration of forms and fields using the Transfer Config page.|
|Allows users in the group to create, edit, and delete all forms using the AssetTrack Console. Users in the group do not need to have permissions on the forms themselves in order to edit them.|
|Allows users in the group to create, edit, and delete all sync plans using the Device Management page on AssetTrack Server. This also allows users in the group to edit sync plan permissions
In the Sync Plans node in the Console. Users in the group do not need to have permissions on the sync plans themselves in order to edit them.|
Viewing the group list
- With the Security node expanded, click on the plus sign next to Groups to view the list of groups on the server.
Editing a group
- Double click on a group to open it up for editing.
- You can edit the name and the description of the group in the top two text boxes. In the list below the description field, you can add or remove permissions
from the group. You cannot edit the name or the description of the Administrators or Everyone groups and you cannot edit the permissions of the Administrator group.
- Click Save to save your changes to the group.
Creating a group
- Right click on the Groups node to bring up a context menu. Click Create new group... to create a new group.
- This will bring up a new group editor with no permissions or users.
Adding a user to a group
- In the group editor, click on the Add... button to bring up the user list.
- In the user list, check the users that you wish to add to the group. If you select a user that is already in the group, nothing will happen.
- Click Add these users to group to add the users to the group. They will now appear in the Members list.
Removing users from a group
The Administrators group and the Everyone group
cannot be deleted.
- In the group editor, select the users you wish to remove from the Members list.
- Click Remove to remove the selected users from the group.
Deleting a group
- Right click on a group to bring up a context menu. Click Delete group....
- Click Yes in the confirmation box to delete the group.
Cloning a group
Cloning a group will create a new group with the same description, permissions, and members.
The Administrators group and the Everyone group
cannot be cloned.
- Right click on a group to bring up a context menu. Click Clone group....
- A new group editor will come up with the same description, permissions, and members as the group that was cloned.
- Click Save to save the new group.